Adjusting to life post stroke

Hi, my husband was discharged from hospital six weeks ago having suffered two strokes during heart surgery. He is completely dependent on others although, fortunately, he has speech but some cognitive impairment. I cry a lot for what he has lost and, selfishly, for what I have lost too. Our lives have changed completely which I am finding difficult to adjust to and difficult to help him. Messages on this site are encouraging and very helpful but can someone please tell me that this gets better for us both, even if we have to just accept his limitations. Thank you

1 Like

It does get better. When I came home my partner said we have nothing to look forward to. I worked hard at recovery and, six years on, we have holidays and days out. In the beginning I encouraged him to have time away from me. Do take occasional breaks yourself. I also make a reasonable contribution to running the home, although not as much as I used to.

1 Like

@SilviaNT welcome to the forum but sorry to hear of your husbands strokes. Made worse as you would have been hoping his surgery would get his life back on track.
It is very early days for you both yet. It will be a very emotional time & crying is good. It’s a massive adjustment for you both so never be afraid to cry. I still cry often & I’m nearly 8 months in. Time does help & things should improve. Hopefully you’re getting the medical help needed e.g physio. It takes time to adjust so just take 1 day at a time, celebrate the small successes & eventually you will look back.& see how far you’ve come.
We’re all here for support if you need us.
Best wishes to you both.
Ann xx

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your lovely, encouraging comments. I will try to take one day at a time and not to dwell too much on the past or look too far into the future. Thank you so much for your love and support, it has helped.

1 Like