About time I contributed to Forum

Hi. I’ve used the Forum for help and to get encouragement from others. I thought it was about time that I said my bit and hope it helps. My stroke happened last March as I was on a phone call to my employer. Suddenly I started slurring words and then could hear myself talking jibberish rubbish. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn’t and realised there was a problem. My wife called an ambulance and I was in the stroke unit within 20 minutes. I spent a couple of days there had the scans which confirmed a stroke. I count myself very lucky that it only affected my speech and I got to hospital very quickly. I’m 90% recovered speech wise and friends say they wouldn’t know, but I do, I still search for words but my brain comes up with something different. Speech therapy and word association games have been helpful. Physically I’m okay and have been trying to lead as near normal life as before. However I get headaches now and again, am fatigued at times, have some short term memory loss and my hearing has deteriorated over the past year. I’m taking inspiration from everyone on the forum as there is so much positivity out there.

7 Likes

My husband had a stroke two half years ago, it affected his sight he only has shades of black whit grey also is foggy all the time limited sight now. Just wondering if anyone else effected this way. Not heard of anyone else have been affected this way appreciate any information. Thank you

1 Like

Thank you we have support from Stroke Assosation there been help full. But haven’t had any help to why he been affected in this way. unfortunately he was told it is permanent . He has had to give up work and unable to drive, I am his cater now and can only work two days this has changed our life so much. I only wish I could get some answers thank you kind regards

3 Likes

Hi WurtWoo,
This forum is something I am going to more and more, great isn’t it. Glad you got help so fast and yes fatigue is the hardest.
Amanda

1 Like

Hi Mahoney,
Word selection, we got to the have to laugh stage, as I was getting so frustrated. It’s things like hubby asking what I want from the market. I asked him to get me cat food, 1 we don’t have a cat, 2 I don’t eat cat food. A little improvement is happening but if I am tired I can talk garble and cant understand as well.
Hope your doing well
Amanda

2 Likes

@WurtWoo welcome to the forum. I’ve only been a member for a few days and finding it really useful. Fatigue and dizziness/fuzzy head are my main issues. Has 2 hospital visits last week and been very fatigued for 4 days now. Glad you’re doing well. Am sure you’ll continue to improve. Listen to your body and rest when you need to.

1 Like

Hi Mrs5K,
Its really hard not feeling good. I hope you get sorted soon. I am glad you found the forum as I am finding it really helpful.
Look forward to more posts
Amanda

2 Likes

Hi Smudge
You must be having a really tough time. I have small blind spot in one eye, nothing compared to your hubbie. If they any good I would ask my GP first to give you an idea of what has happened and to make sure it is not due to something else. When you get properly informed then you can decide next steps. I really hope you get some answers.
Amanda

1 Like

Hi wieort,

I have a stroke 3 years ago and lost you only woke up with a bout of asphasia.

Now 3 years ago I have still above when I type and and a fews words when I speak. Speak up to your speak therapy thill him you.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the Forum it has helped me a lot.
I has a stroke last December and it affected my left side. Just out of the blue like you.
I still have a weakness in the left arm and leg and get very tired.
I have physio which helps and doing exercises on a chair.
It is such a surprise how a stroke takes out of you.
You are doing well keep going you can do it.

1 Like

Hi WurtWoo, your stroke sounds similar to the one I had last October. I also get headaches, fatigue and problems with memory particularly with people and faces (incredibly frustrating). I have found support from the stroke association very good and they have given me sound advice on resolving some of my issues related to my stroke when I have spoken to them. The thing I have found that has helped me is getting exercise, I joined my local ramblers group and try to walk with them once a week, because like you people can’t tell I have had a stroke so I told the walk leader just in case! ( I worry a little I might have another stroke as I didn’t know I had the last one until I started to slur my words and my face dropped on one side). I definitely get a mental lift from expending some energy.
I hope this post helps and I wish you well
Alf

2 Likes