A Warning

Hi All,

It has been said that a TIA stroke is a warning. Not sure what else you can do to protect yourself from having another stroke. I had one May 26th 2022. I have never smoked, don’t drink. Eat sensible & not overweight. Any advice on this would be helpful.

@Woodside welcome. Sorry to hear you’ve had a TIA. They are said to be a warning sign of a potential stroke. Hopefully you’ll have been given some medication / treatment which will reduce the chances of a stroke. Keep up with the healthy living, keep the stress levels down & try not to worry. You could ask your GP what else you can do to ensure your TIA doesn’t turn into a stroke…although there are never any 100% guarantees.
Best wishes
Ann

Hi @Woodside , welcome, As the others say keep looking after yourself and try to stay reasonably active. I don’t think living like a saint is any guarantee you won’t have a stroke (& if it is then it will be a pretty boring existence in my opinion).
I was not overweight, didn’t smoke or drink too much and excercised regularly so who knows why it hits certain people.
In some ways at least you’ve had a warning and should be on some preventative medication. Keep a eye on your blood pressure and try not to get too stressed.
Hopefully your doctord will give you some advice too, but don’t spend your whole life worrying about it.
There are many of us here that will answer any questions and share their experiences.
Good luck & fingers crossed for no repeats
All the best.
Mark

Hi Woodside-- Have they discovered the cause of yourTIA ? When I had my stroke, they recommended that as soon as I got out of the hospital to see my GP, a neurologist and a cardiologist. I’m glad I did. The cardiologist put a 24-hour heart monitor on me and found that I had afib (a common cause of stroke.) I never felt anything and was totally unaware I had it. He put me on medication to control that as well as blood pressure. I’m also taking blood thinners and something to control cholesterol. Since I am taking steps and doing all I can do to prevent another stroke, I don’t worry about it anymore. P.S. Even though you are doing everything healthy, it is still possible to have high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol, both possible stroke causers, so it’s good to have those things checked out if you haven’t alreaady. :heart: Jeanne

1 Like