A milestone of some sort

Below is picture of a seemingly innocuous plastic tub. It was a tub that contained a fig tree that died. It was a tub buried deep into the border of my orchard. I had removed the fig tree, and in June 2020, was attempting to dig out this tub when I felt the earth move towards me. I stabbed my spade into the ground, and flew out of the orchard on a small ride-on tractor. It was to be the start of six TIAs that blitzed me over three months before the storm clouds had gathered enough to deliver such a smite that I was struck down.

Well, almost a year and a half later … I have dug out that blasted, plastic tub. Yesterday, in fact. I was a little bit nervous doing it. I find having had a stroke brings out all sorts of superstitious thoughts. I took it easy, dig by dig. Talking myself through it. Every time I felt a particularly acute, giddy disorientation, I gritted my teeth and kept on digging, until like an infected molar, I was able to wrench it out. It’s been a sort of symbolic victory for me, and I hope I can keep it in mind when confronted with new challenges.

9 Likes

Good job, Rups! By the way, the orchard is beautiful! :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Good morning @Rups. Well done in facing the fear and just doing it anyway, even if through gritted teeth. There are many things we can put off and they can grow a little bigger in our minds, creating bigger mountains to climb ultimately. Love the infected molar analogy- it looks very sorry for itself sitting there on the grass. Julia

1 Like

Diolch Jeanne (@axnr911), now I just have to fill up the hole :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Bore da Julia (@JuliaH), for a year, I had thought I ought to get someone else to dig it up, but decided to tackle it spontaneously. I was sick of looking it, half dug up, reminding me of where I had the first noticeable TIA, so removing it is definitely symbolic of fresh beginnings, and the clear space now can be planted in with some nice herbaceous perennials.

1 Like

@Rups yay, go you. Well done on pushing through to get it dug up. A milestone passed without anything bad happening :grin:

1 Like

Well done Rups, it’s perfectly understandable to find returning to the scene stressful but you did a good thing by conquering it.
Lovely orchard! must be great walking through it in the sunny weather.

Mark

1 Like

Diolch @Mahoney, having had OCD, and now a revival of it makes the superstitions harder to shake, but I am trying to use it to my advantage.

1 Like

I get the superstition. I’m putting off driving because it was apparently reversing the car that caused my stroke but just in case it was removing our Rowan Tree (supposedly necessary to keep witches away) when we extended our house I have planted one of those too

1 Like

well done for getting rid of the tub and what a beautiful orchard

1 Like

Well done in doing that your garden looks big very nice my is a lot lot smaller in back yard but trying to make it better by cladding all the walls with pine cladding painting in cream and new decking painting it dark grey with planting beds Al over the place. I am about 65% finished but with the stroke it’s taken me much longer then it would before the stroke hope all is well des

1 Like

Diolch @Des_murphy, I find that post-stroke, I am lot more precise with tackling tasks, but much slower. It’s incredible what you can do in any outdoor space, my father is my role model, he even grows pumpkins suspended from a tree to save space. Good work on making such good progress on your yard. I find working outdoors is not only weather dependent now, but also stroke symptom dependant!

1 Like

Good morning Rups, just think of the sense of satisfaction that you felt. It shows that no matter what you won’t be beaten :100:. Keep well to you and positive thoughts to all. Love Triciax

1 Like

Well done Rupps. The orchard looks amazing.

1 Like