6 Month Follow Up

The Stroke Community Nurse called this morning for my 6 month follow up appointment.

I received a letter to say I’ll receive a telephone call in the morning, though I wasn’t expecting it at 08:30, so that took me by surprise as I was in the middle of brushing my teeth :rofl:

I have to say she was lovely, and we chatted about how I was feeling, coping, fatigue, medication, exercise and diet, so I was able to ask a few questions that I had on my mind which helped a little.

At the end of the call she said that was it, I’d receive no more follow ups.

My GP will do an annual medication review, starting September, a year after the stroke and when I started taking the statin an anti-platelet tablets.

So that’s it’s guys, I’m on my own with only you fabulous people for support and advice :+1:

One thing she said stuck in my head that was ‘knowledge is power’, not sure how that translates into the everyday of my situation as we were discussing preventative measures other than if she meant I had to take control of what I could eg the food I eat and trying to exercise little and often, rest when I need to etc, well that’s what I’m taking it to mean.

It’s a little strange like being cast adrift to go it alone… but I’m going to take it as a positive, in reality I didn’t have much input from the professionals since having the stroke, probably because of covid restrictions at the time, so I’ve made progress on my own and that should continue.

It’s onwards and upwards, moving on as best I can. In the end only I can motivate myself to put in the work necessary.

Best wishes everyone, have a fabulous day :grinning:

4 Likes

@Mahoney i totally get it! I feel like that. I’m still waiting for my last appointment and it’s a year tomorrow I had my stroke! Your right in saying it’s ourselves who can only motivate us! This forum is my lifesaver and I value each and every one of you. As the song goes “ the only way is up” we’ve been rock bottom so here’s to all us SS :clinking_glasses:keep going Loraine :heart_eyes:

PS I hope you finished your teeth :tooth: :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

2 Likes

Hi @Mahoney , I completely understand where you’re coming from. I’ve been feeling the same as the various support ends. It causes anxiety for me and a sense of loss. I was happy (in a weird way) that my stroke consultant wants to keep me on his books for another 8 months because he is interested in trying to find a reason for the stroke. I also am keeping up with the stroke association fortnightly “Zoom Cafe” group chats (even though they fall on a work day) as I really enjoy them.
Thank goodness for this forum which will hopefully be available indefinitely :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

@Mahoney wow a call at 8:30. I’d still be in bed :joy:. I am still early enough in my stroke journey where I am getting lots of support but I do wonder how it will feel when that support stops. I’m hoping I’ll take it as a positive that I am well enough to be let loose on the world again :grin:. Think we’ll always be here to advise and support each other if we need it :blush:

1 Like

I get what you mean so much. I’ve felt adrift since leaving hospital, well apart from finding a good GP but I cant really call her up for a chat! I am so glad I found this forum. I’ve not been on here long but you won’t be alone.

2 Likes

Woohoo, look out world, here you come​:grinning: yes, it’s a little scary not having the professional support but I liken it to being a fledgling leaving the nest :joy:

It’s good we have each other for support and encouragement, thank you everyone.

2 Likes

@Sharon_B, I’m pleased you have a good, understanding GP that has to be a bonus, yes the people here are great :grinning: lots of encouragement and experiences shared, I too am pleased I joined it.

1 Like