5 things you would recommend?

Just wondered what your top 5 list might be, things in your own control rather than services/help you might be given. Apart from this forum/caring other half+family.

Here’s my starter for … Well 5

1. Microwave heat packs. Always help me with tight muscles,feel like a treat
  2. You Tube channel. Rehab HQ, loads of exercises and some information for brain injury. Loads of videos and many aimed at stroke survivors
  3. Recumbent exercise bike. So much safer than a normal exercise bike with its seat/very low bar and easy to exercise no matter what the weather.
  4. Non slip mat in the shower. I cut a bath mat in half, was like Bambi on ice without this.
  5. Targets, I make a note of the improvements on the exercise bike but I also measured the kitchen and back lawn so I could fairly accurately know how far I have walked. Having a target to beat just makes it more interesting
4 Likes

@Nigelglos great ideas thank you for sharing

2 Likes

I think mine would be something like:

1. Pace yourself it’s a marathon not a sprint
  2. Use any aids that help. I have grab rails in shower, rails both sides of stairs, electric tin & jar openers, perching stools etc.
  3. Accept help when needed. It’s not giving in or being weak. Its a sign of strength.
  4. Jigsaw puzzles…was good for helping get my arm working & also helped with my attention / concentration issues.
  5. Something you find therapeutic - was drawing & writing poetry for me.
5 Likes

Exercise to the best of your ability
Food processor
Extra rail on stairs
Seat in shower
Blue badge

3 Likes
  1. Take your time, don’t force recovery
  2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help
  3. A walking stick or walking poles
  4. Explore alternative therapies that work for you
  5. Avoid processed foods as much as possible
4 Likes
  1. Remove stressful people from your life.
  2. Exercise or walk if you’re able.
  3. Find a hobby, painting by numbers is mine.
  4. Never give up or underestimate yourself.
  5. Doctors tell you a blanket of tales about the recovery of time don’t listen to them.

Smile you are a strong person and keep on going.

:wink:

5 Likes

Some great ones there. I’ll add…

1. Embrace and celebrate what you can do rather than focus on what you cant do . …yet
  2. Set mini goals and challenge yourself
  3. Stay in the moment and present rather than getting too far ahead of yourself.
  4. Surround yourself with family and friends who love and care for you.
    5 keep a journal …note down wins
    Oh and a 6th one
    This is a long often frustrating journey that has no obvious short cuts and requires tenacity commitment and bucket loads of motivation and patience
4 Likes

Some great advice and a few common themes.
Thanks for these.
I think it really helps if you can read and enjoy it. Take the opportunity to discover all those things you didn’t before. Lose yourself in your imagination.
Not everyone can or does. My Bro had a stroke, and he never read before, and won’t start now. He also never liked tech, so all those wonderful entertainment things you can access on the internet, with a tablet, phone etc are lost to him. The online world is a huge resource - use it.

My top 5…

1: Little and often with physio and therapies. Build up gradually.

2: Listen to your body, learn to go with the flow. If you’re tired,then stop and rest.

3: If you can, talk (or type or message) to the people who love you and understand. It’s difficult to explain sometimes, especially if physically we’re ok and mentally its a challenge.

4: Learn as much as you can about what’s happened. For me it’s helped to understand the changes in me.

5: Always remember it’s ok to not be ok, Stroke changes us all and there will be many ups and downs.

3 Likes