42 years old Stroke 2 weeks ago

Hello I had a stroke just over two weeks ago. It was a clot or plaque - I'm still not clear on the right side.  I was outside the 4 hour window but was given aspirin and within a day or two I was up and about.  I am now at home with th4 support of the ESD team.  I can do a lot more than I was anticipating but pCacing myself as best I can.  I was a runner with low cholesterol.  I am taking statins and clopidogrel I am confident that Iwill vbe able to wwalk further in time, i am lucky and have good job which will allow me time off to recover. My main issue is anxiety - I am very fearful about the slightest headache - I have had a fuzzy head since it happened - it has improved but lurks! I felt very unwell the day it happened and dn't actually feel significantly better. Am I doing too much - does this make it worse?  I've no idea what to expect.
How do people cope with the anxiety? Does it pass? How and when?!
AAny younger  SS"s like to buddy up?

THank you

Harriet

Dear Harriet

So sorry to hear about your stroke, but welcome to the forum.

It might be helpful if you get your copy of the discharge letter (written to your GP by the hospital). If you dont have it then ask your GP for a copy. The GP staff should be able to do this without any appointment. Every stroke is different.

It is good that you were so fit. Most of us were fit and perhpas thats why we have survived. Many do not.

Anxiety is very common, especially in the first few weeks. It might well be that your brain did not like the stroke and it is pushing the instinctive button that says run away from another event.

Ask the ESD. In fact ask them everything. When they have gone (?Six weeks?) it is hard to find knowledgeable answers.

When the initial anxiety/fear of another stroke eases away, perhaps six weeks, then any remaining anxiety can be helped with relaxation etc.

As a generalization, you need to rest. And to drink loads of water. Get your sleep as best you can.

I had a stroke in December 2015 and it is a slow journey of recovery. But it is recovery. I too missed the 4 hour window and had a clot on the right hand side.

I was 68. Please dont think in terms of age. What you need is the company of people who know what you are going through and only another SS knows that.

So please:

Be positive

Smile a lot

And you arent alone, lots of us are out here willing to share our experience

Best wishes

Colin

Hi

I am new to this forum. I had a stroke 2.5 month ago. I like you became very anxious about every pain and twinge in my head, fearful it would happen again. I still get twinges now but have learned that they are just normal and am a lot less anxious about it. At least now i am on medication to hopefully reduce the risk of it happening again so am in a better place than i was 2.5 month ago. It takes time to come to terms with it and to realise than it is not going to happen again! I like you was active. Thing will get easier!

Hello Harriet,

I had my stroke at 43 years of age, nine years ago. I was taken to hospital in under an hour but emerged from treatment half-paralysed, partially blind, unable to swallow and incontinent. I too was physically fit at the time which I can say now was the difference between surviving the stroke and its after effects, and dying from it.

With hard work and a lot of research, I made a great recovery and completed my first ever half-marathon this year, on foot. My stroke was also in the right side of my brain, causing the problems I've listed, plus significant memory, cognitive and emotional issues. Time has been kind to me, however, and I can honestly say everything has improved over time, often  so slowly as to be unnoticeable.

Like me at 43: at 42 years' old, you were old enough to have a stroke but you are young enough to have a good or great recovery.

The emotional challenges can be the most challenging but once you start to focus on the things that you can still do in life, they diminish.

Stroke for people in their 40's has been on the rise this century. You're fortunate that you could have as many years ahead of you now as you had prior to the stroke.

Keep us posted on your progress and have a wonderful Christmas,

Damian (Eurocracy67)

Hi Harriet, welcome aboard!  I think most of us suffer from anxiety, I am 2 years post stroke, and although I am aware of every twinge, headache or strange feeling it does get easier to cope.  It takes a lot of time to get your strength back, and stroke fatigue can last for years, I was off work from my teaching assistant job for a year but I was 60,  I now only work two 5 hr days and have a terrific head teacher, my job has been adjusted to suit me, and if I need to rest I do.  So having an understanding boss is essential.  I know a lot of stroke survivors don't which makes things harder.

Funnily enough, I have not had a bad headache since, and I do not suffer from vertigo anymore either.  
You do need to be more aware, and take things easy, if in doubt always check with your stroke team or doctor.  Using a hot tub, or sauna is sometimes an issue, and check flying.  Beware your travel insurance will increase!!

I was lucky and had a stroke coordinator who helped with the dreaded forms, for PIP, ESA and blue badge, which you may or may not need, but I recommend you talk to them.

Anyway, onwards and upwards as we all say, have a happy christmas.

Wendy

Thank you, Wendy. How do you go aboutgetting in touch with a stroke coordinator?  One could be useful.

Thank you Damian

well done on the marathon.  I was training for one!!  THe physical progress has been great but I really am strugggling emotionally.  I'm terrified of everything!!  I'm a bit achy too which makes me feel odd!  Awaiting more blood test results.

Thank you!  I am now aware  of plenty of people who have had strokes and have recovered well.  This is very calming!  I'm hoping it will pass and I'll feel able to move around with confidence soon.  

Thank you, Colin.  MY discharge letter is quite useful but while in hospital I noted that they were very good at talking about me but not to me!!  The ESD have been great and I'm seeing them tomorrow.

Hi , i also had a stroke 6 months ago ,a haemorrhage stroke ,brain bleed aged 49, always been physically fit totally out of the blue while on holiday in spain. Two weeks in hospital paralyzed on my left side, 6 months on a full recovery 3 mri's on given the green light no issues and on no medication.

Anxiety was by far my biggest issue, think over thinking didnt help ,think as the days weeks months pass it definitely lessens,what helped me was accepting it happened.

This forum helped me so much just reading people's story's and realizing we are not alone ,with time im sure youll be feeling so much better,good luck with your recovery.

What a brilliant posting Marlon. I found posting very hard when I was six months, so I reckon you are progressing well.

I have a friend who had a brain bleed and his wife insists it wasnt a stroke. yet he has many of the symptoms that many of us suffer. Especially aphasia.

So is a haomorrhage stroke different from a brain bleed ? Can you have one without the other ? This is just my idle curiosity. Mine was the more common ischemic.

Nice toi haveyou on the forum.

Colin

Colin, a haemorrhage stroke is a bleed on the brain. This is what I had too. Marlon's post is very positive. My partner and I are spending Christmas in Stirling and today we walked up to Stirling Castle. I wasn't going to try, but Chris, my partner, said that was being defeatist, so I thought I would try....and I did it, including plenty of steps. Coming back downhill was tougher, but all a great achievement for me. However, I will definitely need a good rest this afternoon. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Hi, two options if your local hospital has a stroke unit they will be able to put you in touch, if not just ring the Stroke association help line number and they will be able to let you know your nearest.

Good luck, happy christmas

Wendy

Thankyou Colin, read many of your posts too ,all very interesting good to be able to run through the forum and learn from people's experiences.

Thanks John

Marlon did sound positive and thats nice to hear. You are a long way from home, hope its not too cold that far north. And well done for the extra yards during your walk. 

Enopy the holiday and best wishes to you both

Colin

Hello Harriet. 

I had a stroke at the age of 40. That was 5 months ago. For me too it was a clot which caused it and thankfully no permanent physical impairment. My main issues have been the fatigue, sensory overload and anxiety. These all get better with time. The main thing you need is time!  Make sure you take time to rest and sleep. In the early stages of my recovery, Some days I would sleep for 16 hours. Even doing small tasks -eg showering or having a 30 min conversation would require a few hours sleep afterwards. You will learn to k ow your body's limits and rest accordingly. Please feel free to pm me if you wish to buddy up. I'm more than happy to talk! Be kind to yourself!  M

Thank you for such a positive reply.  Time seems to be what people keep reminding me which is useful to know. Sensory over load quite a thing :)

Hi. I had my first stroke 6 years ago age 32 Ispent 1 week in hospital while they investigated why someone so young had a stroke I was in germany so they were obsessive. It was a clot on the right sided had a Tia a week later where it was breaking down. I was left with no residual effects except some minor loss of strength in my left arm.i had another stroke 2 years ago. Blood clot again which caused swelling on my brain causing a life saving operation to be needed they did a ceanuectomy to remove the skull nd the section of brain affected. Which is why I am having more difficulty regaining the use of my arm. I regained speach quickly and it took 4 months to stand I am walking ok now but they gave sai little hope of getting my arm back.which is devastating I have a 10 to autistic daughter who witnessed both strokes and a 6 y girl. I miss living my life to the full with them. I have managed to adapt and stsrt baking again. I ts amazing how well you can learn to adapt when needed. All the best to you xxxxxx

Hi Harriet, you sound a lot like I did 10 months ago, wanting to know what was possibly next for me.

I'm 43 (42 at time of stroke), fit and well with 2 young children. My stroke was down to 3 (possibly more) tiny blood clots that passed through a pfo (tiny hole) in my heart and went up to my brain, rather than going down into my lungs and getting broken down. It was a few months before all the results of my checks, scans, blood tests etc etc were pulled together and I was told the actual cause. I am now on a waiting list for a minor operation which will close the "hole" (docs don't like to call it that but easiest way to explain) in my heart and prevent it from happening again. 

It's funny, before my stroke I was suffering from anxiety, and I'm  still working to manage it now, however, I have never been anxious about having a second stroke. I took it as happening for a reason and looked for all the good things rather than focussing on the "why me's". I had to give up my job at the time, I'm a teacher and initially had heightened sensitivity to noise so being in a classroom was out of the question. I was lucky to get the option of taking redundancy, but once I started to go for longer in noisy situations, I started volunteering at our local primary school (avoiding the classes my children are in!) and building myself up again.

When I first had the stroke I thought okay, 2 weeks until the easter holidays, then 2 weeks off, I'll be fine to get back to work after that. Nothing had really changed physically, I was just tired, a little confused, forgot the occasional word and really didn't like noise. The reality didn't hit me until 4 weeks later when I still felt tired all the time, despite spending long lengths of time sleeping. I only started to improve once I stopped pushing myself, and allowed my brain to rest. A good friend is a gp and gave me the best advise of all. He told me to think of a baby and the amount of sleep they need. They wake, they learn, their brains develop and grow, and then they sleep while the brain files or catalogues all their learning before starting again. Part of my brain is now gone and the neurons won't regenerate. What will happen though, is that our brains will start to make new learning pathways to replace those that are damaged. This happens at an increased rate initially, similar to a baby learning, and so lots of sleep and downtime was needed - not for my physical side but my mental side. Repeating familiar activities was a good start. While the children were in school I spent lots of time reading, sewing, playing the piano, and trying to make a spaghetti bolognese (in 20 mins, rather than the 1 1/2 hours it took me the first time after!!). Even putting my makeup on was something that took much longer for the first month.

The stroke has changed my life but not completely and in lots of positive ways. I am much happier now than I was 12 months ago. I get lots more time with my children, family and friends. Before stroke I taught piano to small number of children on a Saturday morning. I have built on this as it's something I could continue to do and now have over 20 pupils. Just before Christmas I was offered a job at the school I have been volunteering at. It is only one day a week so manageable. The staff know me and are always there if I need anyone - although this hasn't been the case yet. I am also able to walk there so it eliminates the stress of rush hour traffic. I'm not 100% recovered, but then it hasn't been a year yet, and my consultant told me that the first true marker they use post stroke is 12 months. Yesterday I overdid it and made myself super tired. Today I'm having a lazy day because I'm doing an extra day in school tomorrow and want to avoid being hit by fatigue until at least Saturday afternoon! You'll find your own patterns and markers, it's just listening to them and not trying to be a superhero (as I did yesterday - to my cost!)

It's easy to fall into depression but try to look for the positives. I promise, it does get better. The pins and needles I got in my fingers, the feeling of someone tightening a belt around my head, the need to shut myself in a very quiet space for 20 minutes... all those things are now gone. I do get a tingle around my right eye, as if it's twitching. That's a sign that I'm over doing it, but that's fading too. Don't expect too much of yourself, 6 - 8 weeks(?) is a very short space of time. And good luck

Jane :)