3 weeks and counting

Hi everyone my names afie 54 from Nottinghamshire. I had my stroke 3 weeks ago since then my life has changed so much.woke at 3am on 1st of March choking I thought it was because I was snoring.tried turning over but couldn’t move my arm or leg ,thought I had a trapped nerve until I tried talking to my partner but couldn’t get my words out properly,then realised the left side of my face had dropped.
Ime devastated can’t walk very short distances then need to rest as it drains me doing the simplest thing.im determined to get better but I get so upset all the time.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind and reassuring words…im just so down at the moment .having covid isn’t helping things as cant have any physio until I have a clear test😒

Welcome. Stroke is a very traumatic experience. Determination will help you. I really hope you get your physio soon.

1 Like

Hi Alfie–Having a stroke is such a traumatic experience. You are in the very early stages of recovery, so need to rest a lot so your brain can heal and rewire. Drink lots of water, eat good, healthy food and get plenty of sleep. That you can walk even short distances is good. Try adding 5 steps a day. Keep a journal, so you can see the progress. But, don’t overdo it, especially now, since this just happened and you are in a rest & head phase. I was paralyzed for a few weeks, but now (3 1/2 years later) I can walk a mile a day- believe it or not. But at first, I felt just like you. Everything was such an effort. I had to make myself do things in rehab. Though you can’t start rehab yet, there are exercises you can do at home on your own. Leg lifts, arm lifts, squeeze balls, etc. I’m sure there are many more on the internet. Progress may seem slow, but you will get better. I’ll remember you in my prayers tonight. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Alfie,
Keep reaching out and, more importantly, NEVER give up. I had to learn so many things over again, like lifting my foot over a curb, and yet, I just kept going.
If you can, document your progress by writing (or audio recording) and video your successes and defeats.
You CAN do it. You may have a new reality to face, but that’s ok!

Keep going!!! Tim

1 Like

It all takes time, I had mine 2 years ago.
I took at least 6 months to improve. And realise now that I will not be exactly how I was again.
Life is just a bit different , wilt the memory loss forgetfulness bad moods.
Although two years on I am back in work and just had my first holiday
Go step by step and you will get there it will not happen overnight

3 Likes

@Alfiep welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your stroke. It’s very early days yet and you will make improvements. Feeling emotional is very normal. Once you can start your physio etc you will start to notice improvements. In the meantime do a little bit at home. You’ll find exercise ideas on the internet. Good luck with your recovery. Best wishes.

1 Like

Welcome @Steve100. Sounds like you have made good progress since your stroke. It’s good to hear about someone who has returned to work too……this is on my list of goals. Best wishes

Hi @Alfiep , Welcome to the forum & sorry you’ve had a stroke.
As everyone is saying you are very early on in your recovery but try to stay as positive as you can through the ups and downs.
You will find many on here with similar experiences that can give advice.

Good luck on your recovery journey.
Mark

1 Like

Shwmae @Alfiep, hope this forum provides somewhere to touch base and connect with others that may offer you helpful and comforting advice. We are all marked, or stroked, and along with the brave carers can all move forward together.

1 Like

You’re very like me, suffered a haemorraghic stroke in my right basal ganglia 6 years ago next month. Fell out of bed at 03.15 couldn’t get up long story short a stroke! Abject tiredness just added to the loss of physical strength, erectile dysfunction etc etc. took a year to get back to work and then made a decision to retire a year later. The tiredness has ruined what retirement I wanted BUT last Summer my wife of 35 years had had enough, we spoke to local gp locum, who referred me to a sleep clinic and 6 weeks later I was diagnosed with sleep apnea with an average ahi(the number of times a person stops breathing) of 51 per hour. The target is less than 5! So, a CPAP machine and I’m within targets. Still get tired but not abject tiredness and DVLA have allowed me to keep my driving licence, which, living in the sticks, is a basic necessity. Why I am detailing this??? To say the obvious, we’re all individuals react differently but to try to reassure you that you are NOT ALONE and to respectfully urge you to seek support from any and every one

2 Likes

@Alfiep - fully understand your difficulties - was there 13 years ago - but with great perseverance, have made a decent recovery. If you fancy a listen, here’s a link to something I did with Kate Garvey’s Radio 4 programme last year - contacted out of the blue - it may help a bit.

Cheers - and best of luck on the road to recovery

Charlie

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks @Chas3004, I look forward to listening as part of my midday radio and podcast relaxation. :grinning:

Hi Alfie mi duck! I take the doctors and nurses down the QMC are looking after you well? keep taking your medication and go with the flow of things for now mate, if you need that extra nap in the afternoon?Take it its typical fatigue. just keep on doing any physio you’ve been given and your body will kind of go back to its new normal ( which you may need to accept) yes is a big change for us all ,believe me I have had 4 of the buggers, Leaving me with various ailments from weakness in my left arm and throat to memory loss ( my childhood and anything up to age of 35 along with short term memory doesnt exist) lucky my wife and family accept it now too ! Dont give up and dont get down hearted or frustrated about it lad , thats why we are called “Stroke Survivors”!
Neil

1 Like

So sorry for you. It is similar to what happened to me. I had mine 2years ago exactly. I was 51,I was devestated BUT you will improve you will, it might not seem like it now but you wait and see :wink: you might take 1step forward and 2steps back at 1st,you will struggle,you will be exhausted all the time even brushing my hair or getting dressed used up all of my energy BUT it does get easier.you learn to adapt you learn to pace yourself or like me you won’t at first and set yourself back up then you find out for yourself. You will be a NEW YOU,you can’t change what has already happened so go with it it’s hard utb.bc.lumu you can do it.dont give up,keep talking to us and ask for help .
Try to smile too.Sendig love Bernadette :heart:

2 Likes