24 Hour ECG Results - Bradycardia

I’ve finally received a letter outlining the results of the 24 hour ECG monitor I had following the stroke (it took around 5 weeks for them to let me know the results) it was very brief, one paragraph, it said the monitor showed Sinus Bradycardia with a heart rate as low as 35 in the early hours of the morning during sleep and a mean average heart rate of 58 bpm. It also showed very rare isolated episodes of atrial and ventricular ectopics.

I’ve had to Google the medical terms mentioned in the letter, as that’s it, all the letter said, I appreciate the letter has been sent to my GP and I simply received a copy of it, being a Saturday the docs is closed so I’ll have to wait till Monday to book an appointment to speak my GP to discuss what, if any treatment I’ll require, also to ask if this was the cause of the stroke as my BP, cholesterol, sugar levels are all fine.

I suspected Bradycardia as my Fitbit always showed I had a low heart rate, so that wasn’t too much of a surprise but the ‘additional’ (odd/out of place) heartbeats originating from both the bottom and top heart chambers, I wasn’t expecting that.

It’s common, apparently to have the odd rogue heartbeat, so hopefully nothing to worry too much about.

At present I don’t have any worrying symptoms, so it maybe a ‘wait and see’ type of approach, though it may mean a pacemaker in my future, guess I’ll have to wait and see.

I’m pleased @Mahoney that you have had the results. I think occasional atrial and ventricular ectopics are not detriment and probably affect more of us than actually know it is happening, so I am glad of that. I wonder if the atrial and ventricular ectopics, as well as the Sinus Bradycardia have all occurred while sleeping as the heart rate does drop below 60bpm (I think) during deep sleep. It sounds like a positive prognosis, anyway. I know so little about the heart, I really should do some reading on it. Keep us all posted. :smiley:

1 Like

Managed to speak to my GP and she said, it’s nothing to concern myself about, so I’ll not worry about it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello @Mahoney, I’m glad it isn’t something to worry about. My consultant advised me not to check my BP or heart-rate at home, I think he realised I may fixate on it, and it wouldn’t help with anxiety. My stroke also remains cryptogenic, sometimes they just don’t know, or can’t identify one of the obvious causes. I suspect mine came from a thrombosis in my arm, I came across it while navel gazing in hospital. The consultant said that it was possible, but he didn’t press on the issue as he was trying to, in his own words, add two and two together to make four. What also leads me to think it may have been caused by the thrombosis is because the type of stroke I had is more often than not, trauma based, rather than from an underlying condition. But it has led me to consider a more balanced lifestyle, which should help prevent a reoccurrence. I’ve also stopped doing any heavily lifting and being more aware of how my body is moving when doing things. In one sense, having a cryptogenic stroke can be unnerving (because of the unknown) but in another sense it can be reassuring that it was possibly a one-off misfortune. Hope you are enjoying this week as much as possible.

Thanks Rups @Rups. I know what you mean about monitoring BP at home and the potential to become fixated, I think that would happen to me too.

I’m trying to follow a more balanced diet and lifestyle now too, whilst I didn’t think my lifestyle pre-stroke was too bad, I thought I was relatively fit, active and ate a moderately balanced diet, (which I have improved post stroke) clearly something was off that day when it happened.

It’s definitely frustrating not knowing what caused your stroke, but it appears you may have your own answers, even if the docs won’t confirm your theory. We simply have to, as you say, be more aware of our body and lifestyle and do all we can to prevent a reoccurrence.

1 Like