1 week in

Hi all, this is my first post, im 41 & suffered a mild stroke 7 days ago, im absolutely exhausted & feel like im either drunk or drugged, which in itself is creating high anxiety. But im afraid the anxiety will trigger another stroke.  Because i had a mild stroke i was sent home the next day, thankfully with just speech problems, & fine motor problems, (i know im very lucky), but i really dont know where to turn & i really dont know what to expect.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi Millsybop

Sorry to hear about your stroke. Although you say a 'mild' stroke, all strokes are debilitating. A lot depends which kind of stroke you had either a bleed or a blood clot but either way, exhaustion, fatigue, feeling spaced out is all part of the healing process which takes it toll in the early days but does get better as time goes by.  Rest is important for your brain to heal and re-wire. If you have speech problems and/or movement issues,  you should be able to see an occupational therapist at home who will assess you and give you exercises to do to re-train your brain to move better etc.  

Fear is common in the early days as you will be scared of having another.  We all feel that so try not to worry.  Did the hospital put you on medication?  If so, remind yourself every time you feel scared that you are on medication to stop you having another. The first 3 months are when the brain works its hardest to get you back to as close as you were pre-stroke so rest when it tells you to stop. You should have a 6 weeks check up at the hospital with the Stroke Consultant but Covid has messed everything up for outpatients but you are entitled to help so don't let them fob you off!

Feel free to sound off on here or ask any questions. There are quite a few people your age group on here so you aren't alone.  Take care.

Hi, welcome  to the forum. You may also like to take a look at the Different  Strokes website www.differentstrokes.co.uk  A UK charity, providing  a unique service to younger stroke  survivors.

Regards Sue 

Hello Millysbop,

I had a few minor strokes early June onwards and then a major one in early September. I was released from hospital on the 14th of September. I'm 44. I guess that they have given you meds. This is a start. I had a cerebellar stroke, so symptoms may be different, but I imagine for most of us, slow and steady to begin with. I had a physiotherapist who kept in touch with me by email for the first few weeks of home. This was beneficial as I could list my worries in point form and she would put my mind at rest with her experience of cerebellar recovery patterns. Your hospital may have someone attached to the stroke ward who can do this also.

I too have the "drunk or drugged" like sensation but I tell myself it is the brain rewiring itself and with time and positive stimulation, it will lessen. I don't know if this is actually what is happening but the thought seems to be comforting. Why I mention I had cerebellar stroke is because there are some commonalities in recovery pertaining to this kind of stroke. I probably shouldn't give any medical advice, as I am not qualified but in my opinion anxiety is natural but it in itself is not a stroke trigger. High levels of stress and hypertension can be. I was told only to watch out for acute changes. The ways I get through anxiety are rest, normalising activities, and menial distraction. 

For me some hours and days are worse, but I tell myself when it gets worse that I have gotten through those times prior, so I will get through them again. I know it is hard and the fatigue is dibilitating. I worry mostly that I am having infarcts but the medication should prevent this and I don't want to get this worry muddled with the natural stroke recovery symptoms. 

We are here on Stroke Org to help, so feel free to post when needed.

Sorry to learn of the stroke that bit you. 

Not sure about the "mild" stroke. It might be transient (I do hope so as they clear quite quickly) or ischaemic (a clot) or a brain bleed.

You should have a copy of the letter from hospital to your GP. If not, do ask the GP staff to provide this. You will then see exactly what the hospital doctors diagnose.

Generally, do not fight the tiredness/drunkedness/anxiety etc but  rest , rest and more rest.

And drink extra water, your brain is bubbling and it cant ask for liquid.

Many of us are here for you.

Best wishes

Colin

Hi Colin, it was an ischaemic stroke, no one mentioned the more water before, so here goes! i seem to be in a state of heightened anxiety all the time, to the point where my joints hurt from being held stiff.  The other day i read something a friend sent & it didnt make sence, so i freaked out & was sure my brain had got worse & i wasnt understanding correctly. It wasnt until i showed my son, who assured me it just didnt make sense! ? Im on rhe edge & cant seem to get ahold of myself.

Hi Rups, thanks for your reply. Hypertension caused by high levels of stress probably caused my stroke. Although im now on meds my blood pressure is still far too high, thats what is worrying me. A nurse is coming to see me friday to take bloods, if all ok theyll increase my Ramipril to 10mg.  Its a comforting thought to think the tiredness is due to the brain rewiring itself, & i think theres some truth in it to be honest, but it was very kind of you to offer this.

Thankyou Sue, i"ll take a look

Hi, thankyou for your reassurance, it was indeed exactly what i needed, i seem to be in a lonely place right now & feel isolated, its good to be reminded there are lots of people in the same boat & managing to get through this!

Hello again - Mine was an ischeamic stroke caused by a combination of high blood pressure and being on HRT. The HRT being the worst culprit. I was over 60 and had a hysterectomy in my 30's. The gyneacologist put me back on it due to problems after GP took me of it.  I took the risk and knew the odds - I lost :)    Over 60 the odds of stroke are 1 in 100 I was told which is quite high.  HRT causes quite erratic high blood pressure the older you get. I was a fit and healthy non-smoker, non-drinker so I thought I would be OK.  The worst thing for me was being immediately taken off HRT after stroke. The shock of being  thrown into a sudden menopause at 65 was horrific on top of the stroke but I'm almost through it all now apart from the odd hot flush! Good luck with the blood tests.

Hi, so sorry to hear you have suffered a stroke.  It's still such early days for you, your brain is on high-alert, but these horrible feelings of anxiety will gradually begin to calm down.  I remember my husband being so worried in the early weeks following his stroke, it frightened me too, so I can't imagine how much worse it is for the person who has had the stroke.  

I don't want to overload you at the moment, but if you or your family google "A Letter from your Brain" it might give you an insight into what your brain is currently dealong with and why you're feeling so anxious.  

You will find good advice and support on this site, so when you feel able, keep posting and let us know how you are doing.  Take good care, get PLENTY of REST!!!  xx

I hate drinking the extra water. But I want recovery so I drink the extra.

Your brain will not be getting worse. The stroking did the damage and thats over and finished. It will leave a bit of brain permanently damaged and the bit around that is damaged but not permanent.

Your brain is working away to get the best recovery it can. That will from time to time be alarming. It should be mending the non permanent bit and also finding alternative routes for the permanent damaged part. 

Nothing else is damaged. It is just the messaging system from your brain that is wonky.

Anxiety is horrid and can be painfull. Please try to find deep relaxation. I hope you have somewhere to go and be quiet and peaceful. It will give your brain a rest.

You can do this. Be determined. Be positive.

Colin

thankyou x

Hi Millsybop

Please don't feel you have to be back to your oldself. I had my stroke in June and I still have days when I am totally exhausted. But i have found that walking helps. I personally found that resting too regularly was making me want to rest even more, so now I try to balance a walk with a very long rest, if that makes sense!

But my walks in the fresh air also help my anxiety and help me to keep positive. I think, for me, being positive eventually became my default state of mind becaouse I was determined to NOT be negative. Things seemed to drop into place from there. 

Take control of your life and decide what you want. It really is amazing how different you will feel. But don't forget .. baby steps ... they may be tiny but they add up to progress!

Keep strong

Angie

Hi Millsybop - I had my strokes nearly two years ago now, and like you, felt so tense about having another one. I was totally exhausted - my brain ached the whole time (both tension and brain rebuilding aches). Water definitely helps as Colin said but it took a few weeks before I did anything much except a few walks and a new hobby (bread making) to prove to myself I could still do something. I struggled on - trying to be my old self - trying to keep up with friends, replying to mails, sorting out house things etc -until I had a visit 1 year later, from the stroke nurse. She told me to slow down! She made a list of priorities for the following weeks and told me to do only one a day and one enjoyable thing. It helped! So take it easy! If you are on meds you have reduced your chance of another one. Your brain is talking to you - listen to it! I swear I could feel mine making new pathways for me to follow - especially with my muddled speech. Enjoy simple things! It does get better and easier to deal with. 

Hi Millsybop , like you this is my first post on here, and I too am considered to be a "young stroke"....but a bit older than you wink . I had a stroke a few weeks ago,out of the blue,never ill before.......please give yourself time to heal,sleep,recover and adjust. I felt like it consumed my mind during waking hours ,and like you, was naturally anxious of a repeat performance. 

I certainly felt more over whelmed and anxious when I was tired. It seemed to magnify everything. But as time has gone on, the anxiety has lessened and the fatigue is more managable. I have found the support from the local stroke co ordinator really helpful. Someone you can really talk to about what is whizzing around in your head.

Remember ...anxiety is natural, cut yourself some slack ,spend some time learning how to relax 

Hi Millsybop-One thing that might relieve some anxiety is if you could find out what caused the stroke.  When I had my stroke 2 years ago,  they had me see my G.P., a neurologist, and a cardiologist.  They said it was a must to make these appointments the first week I got out of the hospital- so I did.  The cardiologist discovered that I had afib.  I was totally unaware of it-never felt anything and docs had previously not picked up on anything even with regular 6 mo. visits.  So I was put on a medication, which controls the afib, and another, Eliquis, for blood clotting.  So, having found out the cause, and doing something about it has really put my mind at rest.  I don't worry anymore about it happening again.  I think that often  "repeaters" have not done anything about the cause.  High blood pressure can often be a cause of some types of strokes, and I'm sure there are other causes.  Feeling drugged or drunk is how I felt as well--and for many months.  It gradually eased up as my brain healed. I was in a state of high anxiety for about a year or so.  I saw a therapist for a couple of months and took CBD oil.  Both helped.  I'm at 2 years 3 months now, and I still notice I feel better each day.  So will you. I will remember you in my prayers tonight. Love, Jeanne

I had an acute ischemic stroke 3 weeks ago and left hospital with no issues apart from my speech was awkward for a couple of days. Its difficult to comprehend what's happened because looking at yourself in the mirror looks like the same old me. I've had great advice from the Stroke association on the phone with the promise of a follow up call from local group. Like other posters have said dont do too much and rest a lot. One day I led a normal life and paid the price I couldn't get out of bed the next day. Rest seems to be the best therapy, although not computers as I find the mental stuff tires me the most. Goodluck with the future.